Pinal County supervisor Cheryl Chase suffered a seizure last Friday at the San Tan Valley campus of Central Arizona College.
Supervisor Todd House was also in attendance at the Greater San Tan Valley Chamber of Commerce meeting, which was held at the CAC campus. The seizure happened late morning, and House escorted her into an ambulance, which took her to the hospital.
Board of supervisors chairman Steve Miller, who spoke to House about the incident, said Chase wanted to be released from the hospital but had another seizure a few hours later and was kept at the hospital until Sunday.
“They were thinking about letting her out, and all of a sudden, she had another seizure,” he said.
Fortunately for Chase, professionals were close by at the chamber event; House is trained in CPR and first aid, and he’s chairman of the Apache Junction fire district board. He and Bill Grubb, deputy chief of the Rural/Metro fire department were on the scene, and House said Grubb “did an excellent job handling the situation.”
“We kept her comfortable ... and made sure she was safe until the ambulance arrived,” House said in a phone message Tuesday.
Any situation like the one Chase endured at the CAC campus is dangerous, but House said with professionals in place, the emergency was managed well.
“I don’t think she was in harm’s way; anything can happen at any time,” he said. “But I think the whole situation was handled wonderfully.”
House said Chase seemed to be in great shape after being released and said medication she was taking should help.
“I think if she gets her medicine, we won’t have to face any problems again,” he said.
Chase was absent from the Board of Supervisors work session meeting Wednesday in Florence.